Friday, August 28, 2009

Beliefs and Identity

Question (Q): Do our beliefs (Bs) define our identity (I)?

Discussion:

I think conservatives (Cs) would tend to think there is a least a much stronger connecton between B and I than liberals (Ls). Maybe this is because Cs take their Bs so much more personally than Ls (or so it seems to me). I get the impressoin that Ls can be pro choice and not identify themselves as abortionists/murderers, but Cs that are pro choice would have difficulty not sensing guilt as an abortionist/murderer...

I don't want to debate abortion, but just bring this up as an example of the B to I linkage. So what is the thought process difference here between Ls and Cs that results in different levels of B to I linkage?

In the extreme cases, it seems a far right C would see no difference between B and I and would answer the Q with a definitive Yes! Conversely, the far left L may 'feel' (is that word a clue?) that they could have just about any B and it would in no way define who they are 'as a person' (another clue? What does 'as a person' really mean?).

All of this makes me ask what makes someone a C? Isn't it the fact that they have C beliefs? Have I answered the Q already?

The converse of the Q may be helpful to ponder...Does our identity define our beliefs?

This is all so circular now...

The quote "As a man thinketh, so is he." by James Allan is apropo here. Some research in to his writings may shed light on this Q.

Lord, show us the linear truth, the beginning and the end, to bring sanity to this topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment